Monday, November 19, 2007

Secret shopping the library, sort of


As you probably know, I still work at the library in a part-time-on-call status. I spend most of my time at home with two darling daughters now, though, so the greater part of my time at the library is spent as a patron these days. I think the blog might be a good place to try to get a discussion going about this in-house kind of topic-- or at least offer some food for thought for anyone who's still reading.

I believe myself to be in a sort of "secret-shopper" mode at our library. I wouldn't think this, except that since leaving full-time status, staffers have made comments either directly to me or within my earshot about my parenting methods, my politics (because of my clothing) and my choice of library materials. Not people I know well-- I could have (perhaps) understood that. It bears mentioning that friends in my playgroup have come to me with similar issues, leaving me to try to "explain them away".

I am not bringing this up on the blog for any sort of redress-- when I felt it necessary I already took it up with department manager/s in question-- but I'm as concerned about the library's public image as the next guy (or gal). If these gaffes are happening to me and to my peer group, then how widespread is the issue?

5 comments:

FW_Kekionga said...

I think this is a widespread issue in the library, or at any workplace. People just have a tendency to talk about other people, whether it is appropriate or not. It certainly doesn't make it right however. I am kind of offended that people you worked with would critically comment to you about your politics, as it is none of their business. Same with the parenting methods. I might complain to a coworker about a patrons parenting methods, and I have seen some really bad ones, but in the end it is not my child, so I avoid the disasterous confrontation and keep my nose out of it. I just prepare myself for when that kid is older and is a monster!

Dianna Burt said...

As a worker and children's librarian, I catch myself 'talking' out of turn way too much. I try to keep names out of it, but seeing the public day in and day out, it gets difficult to not say anything. So instead of saying something to the person, I usually turn to a co-worker. I'm sure my face can give away a lot.

An interesting side note, I met someone at a conference last week that used to work at my work. I've heard lots about this person, a fair share not good. But I found this person to be quite delightful. Granted we met briefly while resting between exhibits and workshops, but I was surprised to learn who I was talking with.

In general I would say that what someone says something about someone else the comment made is really about themselves and leave it at that. Just my $.02.

Jen said...

You know, I worked for five years in an Emergency Room as Unit Secretary. I don't think a department meeting went by that we weren't reminded in some way that just because there was a desk that separated us from patients didn't mean they couldn't hear a great deal of what we were saying. Privacy is key, and if we wanted to keep our own and that of our patients, we needed to zip it on-desk.

Librarianship is different, I'll grant you, but not so different I don't think.

library chicken said...

Visiting my sister's family in Florida last week also had me in a sort of secret shopper mode. It is interesting to be in a library as an undercover librarian. I noted that the staff never greeted me (or anyone), many people don't ask questions but look at the provided signage, and generally try to make do on their own. The libraries I visited were nice - one was older, one updated recently - but I was left feeling cold. It didn't feel friendly or welcoming or relaxing. Do our patrons feel this? I fear too much is sliiping through the cracks at our new main library, and have heard that sentiment from patrons as well. :(

Anonymous said...

I troubles me deeply that people have made comments about your politics, and drawing conclusions based on your clothing? I am faintly ill.

I thank you for bringing this up, though, because I will remind my staff that they cannot be too discrete while on desk.