Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Instant messaging revisited

Goodness, I don't need to roleplay an IM reference transaction with someone to do my 2.0 homework. I DO these transactions regularly-- real ones-- with librarychicken!

Imagine the scene: Fiona, who is currently totally jazzed about Scaredy Squirrel books, draws a huge, complicated map using paper and markers that features our own backyard squirrel, Truck Legs. Like our literary friend Scaredy, Fiona employs the use of a map with lots of circuitous arrows.

She shows it to me. Bursting into laughter, I exclaim, "Easy, John Madden!" Of course, then Fiona needs to know who John Madden is and what he has to do with her lovely squirrel route. I try to explain, then sit down and the computer to attempt to find an illustration.

At our house, sitting is an open nursing invitation, so suddenly I'm typing one-handed. I check the little Messenger icon in the lower right of my screen; and sure enough, our library's IM reference is on-duty.

Yessssssssss! Not only does Fiona get to see one of these drawings in action, I even learn that the device Madden used is called a telestrator.

So, just in case the library needs a shot in the arm for this service, just knowing how to do reference does not necessarily make it easy to do at all times and places, and I am very, very pleased with the the service I have received since going to part-time-on-call. IM reference rocks! (As does librarychicken, of course).

1 comment:

library chicken said...

Thank you for the IM reference love! Hopefully soon others will be sharing in the joy that is askacpl IM reference!

PS - I so heart Truck Legs. You guys crack. me. up.