Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It's all zooglobble to me... and I absolutely love it

Have you read the blog Zooglobble? Well, have you? I don't think it's enough to leave it in my blogroll. I have to put the actual words right here to give you a chance to consider some thoughts by Stephan Shepard, married father of two from Phoenix, Arizona and consumer of vast amounts of children's music. His reviews, along with the Fids and Kamily Awards that he's a part of (creator of?) help me know what music to put on hold or request at the library for my own DDs. This post, entitled "More Joy", is from November 6th of this month:

In case you haven't checked out Offsprung's forums, cheekily called The Playground, it might be worth a little time. For example, this thread (noted by loyal reader Katy) unearthed a video on YouTube for "My Children, Be Joyful," by the Canadian band Rock Plaza Central. (Well, if "unearthed" is the verb for a video featured on YouTube's front page and with nearly 300,000 views.)

The video takes entirely unrelated footage from the Canadian television show Nanalan, which, I gotta say, looks suspiciously like a little show called Jack's Big Music Show. Or vice versa. Anyway, the song builds up to a frenzy (la la la's, violins, and, like, a dozen horns) and the frenetic puppets somehow fit perfectly. And, yeah, it's joyful.

Not bad for a song from an album (Are We Not Horses, released in the States this year) that is "all about robotic horses. Robotic horses who think they are real horses. For real. Caught in a battle between good and evil. Between angels and humans. And after eradicating the world of the angels, wondering if they fought for the right side." Yeah, that might not be so much for the kids. Or maybe. I don't know. I kinda want to find out, though.

By the way, if you want to get the track for free, head on over to the band's Myspace page to download it and three others.

What songs are bringing you and your family more joy?


No comments: