Tuesday, January 8, 2008

HALP! I need 2 x 6's!


This is obviously not a reference question, but here's my deal: I recently read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and at least until I roll up my sleeves and find that I've failed, I feel the visceral need to attempt to live more locally and organically. Thus the new blog. Thus The Big Backyard Gardening Experiment.

I am an EXTREMELY novice gardener. I am also a SAHM (read: exceedingly cheap). This year I want to make some 4' square raised beds for my backyard so I can try some gardening with the family, and I need 2 x 6's for the job, but not even whole ones. I only need 4' leftover scraps. I am trying an experiment based on Mel Bartholomew's book All New Square Foot Gardening, and he suggests that I go begging at local construction sites. Free is good; being shot down, not so good.

Does this even sound like something I'd be able to GET at a construction site, people? And if so, would anyone be allowed to hand it over to me? We've built a lot of libraries lately-- I don't know construction but maybe some dear reader does. Is this type of freebie scavenging is even legit? Inquiring minds want to know before they haul their kids out for a field trip of disappointment. . .

7 comments:

Conrad R. said...

I will go through my garage and see what I have in the way of 2x4. I assume you want them more or less straight. Remind me and I'll tell you all about the raised planting beds I put in for Heidi and how they are working out down the road four years later.

Anonymous said...

My stepdad got someone (not sure if it was a construction company or the city) to give him a bunch of dirt for free. They were digging somewhere and my stepdad needed dirt for leveling a plot of land, and they even delivered it for free. So I guess if they are willing to let someone else have their dirt, they might be willing to give someone their leftover wood scraps.

Chickenwoman said...

You might make sure that the wood you get hasn't been treated. Lots of nasty stuff in the treated wood.

Jen said...

Treated wood has green paint on it I've been told. Is that so? How will I know treated wood if I didn't buy it myself, do you know?

Lettie said...

lots to be scavenged in the construction world. (raised in and briefly employed by) and lots that they typically have to pay to get rid of. a lot of waste in that way too. so, timing is crucial. if you call ahead that would help. and just like with your farmers, if you develop a relationship, even better. they might want to know that you aren't reselling. great idea - good luck and keep keeping us posted!

Anonymous said...

Pressure treated lumber does frequently have a greenish cast to it, but is not necessarily painted. I would also strongly advise you against using plywood, because the adhesives used to hold the layers together can be toxic if they leach into the soil and your family's food.

Honestly, 1x6 lumber is quite cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot, and that way you can be sure what you're getting.

Of course you could also cut down a tree and shape the lumber yourself, but that's a bit extreme, I think.

Chickenwoman said...

Depending on where you live (association codes) check on straw bale gardening. I want to try it this summer, but it doesn't look pretty. Just a thought.