Thursday, December 13, 2007

It's a bird... It's a plane... It's LibraryThing!

This may be an unseemly confession, but with every passing year, I am less connected to most of my books. I just finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle a week or so ago, and when I felt overcome with the urge to own it, I actually surprised myself. I thought the need to buy books had gradually dissipated with my professional proximity to them. My average running total of library materials for myself and the kids usually hovers around 150 or so.

So with the wealth of our library literally at my fingertips, it's not terribly tempting to keep my own copies salted away unless I consult them regularly or the kids have bonded with them. I enjoyed LibraryThing's simplicity of signup, and also options for cataloging and posting for my list. I think Stephen Abram is right when he says that both amazon.com and libraries could learn a thing or two from LibraryThing.

That being said, however, at this point in my life I'm still in more inclined to weed my books again than to catalog them.

No comments: